Saturday 14 February 2015

Day 24

This morning I slightly overslept, not getting up to around 12ish, my mum always says you only sleep till late if it's needed and it really was. After about 10minutes I had a knock on my door, it was Harry telling me that lunch was about to be served. Awake for 20 minutes and I was faced with sausage and mash for breakfast, it was alright but I wish I'd passed on having lunch. 

After lunch we took a walk to the shops, we needed some juice and some fruit. It was here we experienced our first load shedding black out, it's a bit confusing but I'll try to explain based on what we've picked up. Basically there is 1 electricity supplier, they are running out of power so there's a schedule in place where different areas face losing complete power for around 2 hours to save electricity. Shops, houses and even traffic lights all lose power, some places have generators to help but not everywhere.

After returning from the shops we decided today old be the day we did something touristy, we climbed lions head mountain, nowhere near as high as Table Mountain but still really high with some interesting paths and climbs. I'm really gutted as I had to stop about 5 minutes from the top, I don't really like heights and I've never been a good climber but I was doing really well, I tried climbing up and slipped a little bit and it knocked my confidence and made me a bit queasy. Standing at 2200ft above sea level was an amazing experience, great views of Cape Town and not a bad work out. Some of the paths were steep and narrow and at 1 stage you have to use metal hand rails to help climb up and down. Harry went all the way up and got some greats pictures on his GoPro which I'll get hold of and show you. I wish I'd gone up that last bit but am really pleased with what I managed to achieve.

Tonight we are going to get our 1st real taste of Cape Town night life, going out for a Valentine's Day drink, should be interesting. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. Have a look at a few photos from today.


No comments:

Post a Comment